Monday, April 22, 2013

Week Seven - Outreach

The last week. I seriously felt like I blinked and already it was time to come home. I miss some things about America/Canada for sure, but I have let Thailand into my heart a little bit too, so knowing that I will never again see some of the people I met, makes leaving extra hard. But I'll start from the beginning of what happened this amazing week and work up to the leaving part.

After we got back from the village, we were able to have a weekend to relax and hang out at Lawns house, with a pool, couches and other awesome luxuries. We also got to eat pizza and then an intense, huge, american, awesome breakfast the next morning! My stomach did some major yoga since it's not used to american food, especially cheese, anymore, but it seriously did not stop any of us from indulging in the food that we had missed a lot. I even got to help cook the breakfast as a "test" to see how good of a cook I was. Luckily, I was not the only one in there or else food that we were all incredibly excited for, would have been not so appealing to anyone. So we ate a lovely breakfast and just took time to relax by the pool with our newly created family until we got to head out for a little bit of shopping. The cool thing about a shopping trip in Thailand is that even if you only have a little truck, all of your friends can go with you! Riding in the bed of a truck down the freeway is a little bit nervous, but when it's just little roads it made a bit of an adventure for us and dodging bugs was another exciting little tid-bit to the ride. It was a fun filled day that lead to an exciting night also. Lawn had a BBQ at his house for us and the teachers and students that went to the village the previous week. Well when a group of high school boys and girls get together, looking nice and having a pool readily available, trouble gets stirring. Boys were boys and wrestled with each other until they fell in, but unfortunately I was the first, "lucky" girl to get chucked in the pool. I have to say I did put up a pretty decent opposition to my Muay Thai opponent, but I did lose and I was not the last to enter the dark, wet abyss. The rest of the night was one of relaxation and sleep, a little different than the previous week had looked, so it was beautiful and well enjoyed by all of us.

The next day we spent a lot of time sitting, but it was pretty amazing to experience some of the "touristy" attractions in Thailand. We spent a lot of time in a van driving to get to get to ride elephants! Unfortunately on the way one of our vans got into a small accident causing the 2 hour ride to turn into four. We did make it to the elephants though and it was pretty awesome sitting on these massive animals. I was able to ride with my friend Rebekah and our elephant had a little baby attached to her by a "leash". Super cute and when the other elephants would poop, the little baby would try to dodge the poop and walk around it, it was entertaining to watch. Our driving was pretty funny also since a significant portion of the time that we were on the elephant he was texting and on the phone. For the first time in my life I would be on the team that says texting and driving is a bad idea. I wasn't sure how confident I was that he would be able to control this large mammal if he was fully attentive never mind half un focussed, but the elephant was well behaved and we even rode her without having the guide on at all. It was a pretty awesome moment in asia and I am definitely okay that it is extremely documented by my photograph maniac friend Bethany Penner. That was the night that we found out that we weren't in fact building huts in a village out of elephant poop for debrief, but instead going to an island resort called Koh Samet!! I'm pretty sure it was one of the best moments in my life after being tired from the week before.

So we headed to Bangkok for the night and then off to Koh Samet as a nice relaxing few days as a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment